Friday 1 June 2007

Apple Upside-Down Cake

I was meant to make some banana bread yesterday with some rather old bananas that were lurking in the back of the fruit bowl, but on further inspection they were black beyond use. Well at least to me, I actually prefer my bananas bordering on green. I didn't have any nuts either so I really wasn't doing very well on the banana bread front. I did however have four apples that needed using, and as I really don't like making pastry all that much decided to make an apple cake of the upside- down variety. I know it has a lovely french name but beyond bonjour and fromage my french is severely lacking, I blame it on the California school system, I took Spanish instead. So anyway the following is the recipe I came up with after searching the net and finding a few recipes that didn't seem quite right so I adapted what I found and remade it into this recipe which turned out rather yummy in the end. Word of warning don't leave it too long before turning it over otherwise it will stick to the cake tin!


Apple Upside-Down Cake

½ cup butter
½ cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1½ cups self-raising flour
½ cup milk
2 to 4 firm-fleshed apples (granny smiths are best)
1/2 cup butter (melted)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup light brown sugar (or caster sugar if you prefer)

Preheat the oven at 300 F
In a large bowl cream the butter and the sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time. Add half of the self-raising flour, then half of the milk and the vanilla. Add the remainder of the flour followed by the remaining milk and beat till well blended.

Melt the butter in 13x9x2" baking pan in the oven while pre-heating, remove and sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Pare, quarter, and slice the apples thin. Spread in an over-lapping layer on the bottom of the baking dish . Pour the cake mixture over the apples. The batter will be thick and may need to be smoothed on top with a knife.

Bake at 300° to 325° F. for 45 minutes. Until the cake is golden brown on top and springy to the touch. Leave on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Loosen the sides of the cake with a knife , Cover the cake with a large serving dish or baking tray and turn it out carefully, upside down.Best served warm with custard, or vanilla ice cream.

© Meridian Ariel 2007 - all rights reserved

1 comment:

Frizbe said...

Tart Tatin me thinks!