Monday 14 February 2011

the Nightmare Before Valentine's Day

Burton-esque pincushion

I finally managed to finish crafting for one of my partners for the Tim Burton Nightmare Before Valentine's Day craft swap. Though I had millions of ideas buzzing around my brain for the swap I ended up running late with the actual crafting of it. This morning I invited my friends Emma and Alison over for coffee and cake and while they were here I finished making a Burton-esque pincushion for Alison who ended up being one of my two craft partners in the swap. So instead of me posting her things I made coffee and gave her a red glitter covered triple chocolate and espresso brownie.... I'm nice like that.


Burton swap to Alison

We geekily talked about books, iphone apps and crafts, while I finished sewing and gluing the pincushion in place. I made the pincushion from a little silver plated bowl (possibly a sugar bowl?) that I found at a little junk/antique shop in Cromford (Arkwright's Attic in the mill). When I saw the bowl with it's lovely tarnished silver I knew it would be right for Alison and would fit perfectly into any Burton world.... OK maybe not Mars Attacks or Batman Returns but certainly it wouldn't go amiss in Beetlejuice, Nightmare before Christmas, or Alice in Wonderland. I used a scrap of vintage doily and some black and white ticking that I thought would fit in with the worlds of Burton.



I also gave her a copy of the Meloncholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories by Tim Burton and a small zombie doll with a loose eye as Alison loves books and zombies too. The Corpse Bride is a zombie right? I really had a ball crafting for the swap, when we weren't all under the weather with awful colds and luckily for me I still have one more thing to finish crafting for my second craft partner the lovely Jessica of Kids Napping? I'm Scrapping before I can blog that too.

More brownies
triple chocolate and espresso brownies
(I should probably write up the recipe)

I best go do some crafting... or put the kettle on for another cup of coffee. It's Valentine's Day and we never do very much but we will watch some crappy horror flicks later.. I quite fancy a zombie film as nothing quite says love like zombies eating brains...right?


4 comments:

Annie B said...

I love that pincushion - is Soooo perfect. and laughed lots at your evocation of your romantic night in...brilliant! XXX

Christel said...

I'm so glad to find your lovely blog.
That pincushion is really good !! Almost like a cake !!

Jessica Rodarte said...

I loved what you made Alison. Chocolate espresso brownies and coffee sounds divine. It really is a shame we don't live closer! I love geeky talk.

Danymtn said...

A few of the key benefits of epoxy flooring include: Easily handle and manage stock from initial order to delivery stage. The advantages of a public warehouse facility are considerable and well worth consideration for any business that is ready to expand and take the next step forward. A small to medium business in particular can use their services in a most cost effective manner. There is no need for any outlay of capital for constructing a new storage facility, space problems are eliminated and the business can concentrate on development and progression while their current products are well taken care of by experienced professionals.