Thursday 16 December 2010

sugar and spite

sweetness and light

I finished two dolls today... and by today I mean last night and just now. Today is a relative term, I'm not entirely sure what it is relative to but anyway I finished them. One I love and one is an evil spiteful creature that hates me. This isn't a story (at least not yet), both dolls have sat unfinished on my desk since mid October. I kept picking them up and putting them down. The flowery one (who is still nameless but needs a vintage-y sort of name to go with her Cath Kidston sample fabric self) turned out great, after I swapped her eyes around 3 or 4 times, and now I think she has a personality and I love how she turned out.

spiteful...don't let the matroyska fool you

The other doll however did not want to go the way I thought she should, no matter what I did nothing worked and I was ready to scrap her all together, rip out her guts and salvage her buttons. In the end I thought it best to finish her so she wasn't in UFO* purgatory. I still think she is a spiteful cow but something of her reminds me of Hyperbole and a Half (which you should totally read because it is a fantastically awesome blog) so she is finished and I have no idea what I will do at her. She still needs a name like Veronica or Agatha or something slightly more malicious... Marigold maybe...

Not everything I touch turns to gold or silver or even tarnished copper... sometimes what I touch turns to crap, and sometimes that crap has a mind of it's own. I have no idea what I'm writing any more. I am now going to put the kettle on because its snowing out I'm cold and I have been a busy bee all day... and now I'm a grumpy bear or something.


*UFO =unfinished object

5 comments:

Stray said...

The first one looks like she is wearing a poppy on her dress so what about calling her Poppy :D

Talia said...

I love them both and still think the top one should be called Eva or Evelyn or something like that.

Were I not banned from spending any money ever again I would buy both of them now!

Kitty Ballistic said...

Both dolls are fantastic!

The first one could be a Constance or Mariette. The second one...what about Heather? :D Sorry, saw a pic of Winona Ryder recently and was reminded about the films 'Heathers'.

Kate said...

The sweet one looks like a Dot to me, but that's too literal because of her legs. I would definitely trust her to be milk monitor at school.

I just hope you're keeping her away from Miss Matroyska, or she'll lead her astray.

jillytacy said...

I still think you are amazingly talented but it makes me feel better to know that occasionally you struggle to create as well. I feel like what I touch turns to crap more often than not! Your dolls are beautiful!