Friday 29 June 2007

Key Lime Cheesecake With Coconut Biscuit Base


Key Lime Cheesecake With Coconut Biscuit Base


2 packages of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. grated lime zest (2 limes)
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (2 limes)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
pie crust*
whipped cream for topping


Preheat the oven to 350°F (180 C).

Beat cream cheese, sugar, zest, lime juice and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
Add the eggs and mix just until blended. Pour the cheesecake mixture into the crust.
Bake for 40 minutes or until the centre is almost set. Remove from the oven and let cool. refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
Top with fresh whipped cream just before serving. Store any leftover cheesecake in the refrigerator.

For the crust
12 coconut biscuits (makes roughly 1½ cups crumbs)2 tablespoons melted butter
Crush the coconut biscuits and add the melted butter. Mix well and press firmly into a lightly greased 8-inch pie pan.



I have found a new recipe for a key lime cheese cake. I have made several versions of Key lime pie before, as it is one of M's absolute favorite deserts. This one is a very simple recipe with out much fuss, and without condensed milk. M would quite happily sit with a can of the stuff but I have never been a fan. Probably something to do with having it in my tea while camping with my dad as a kid. I wouldn't recommend it. One of the other recipes I have used quite often in the past is one that is very heavy on effort, time, and gelatin, its totally gorgeous but very hard work to make. SO I'm going to attempt this cheesecake recipe, and see how things turn out in a bit, once the rain abates and I can scurry up to the co-op and get some cream cheese and biscuits to make the biscuit base. How I do miss graham crackers, but plain digestives or nice biscuits will suffice.

more to come in a bit but need to flick the coffee maker on as frizbe is here.

its still in the oven as I type this so i have no idea how it will turn out. I'll let you know as this is the first time I have ever made a baked cheesecake. The recipe I found and adapted to my own liking making it my own as it were.

THe Cheesecake turned out great very nice and dense and refreshing, and all in all it was really very quick to make, so lets hope the offer is still on for half price cream cheese. Next time I will try a No Bake Recipe perhaps something with fresh raspberries or peaches.

4 comments:

Frizbe said...

mmm thanks for the coffee n lovely cake :-) very happy Frizbe! Have fun making the cheesecake, sounds yummy.

Apryl said...

It was yummy as you can now see by the picture i just uploaded. Nexttime i'll do a No bake version.

RichT said...

Frizbe sent me over to look at your cat photo, but my eyes went to cake photo :) hmmm cake, must stop eating cake.

Apryl said...

kittens are cute but cake is well cake, you cant beat cake.. unless its my secret recipe dark chocolate torte :o)