Wednesday 26 March 2008

Apple Brown Betty

apple brown betty

Ingredients:

Pastry for the pie crust
5-6 apples (I used eating apples)
1 cup flour
1 cup light brown sugar
½ cup butter (room temperature)
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon

Pre-heat oven to 375° F

Grease and flour a pie dish and line with the pastry trim and crimp the edges.

Peel, core and slice the apples and fill the pie crust with them.

In a bowl mix the, flour, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon by hand until it becomes the consistency of damp sand.

Cover the sliced apples with the crumble topping completely.

Bake for 25 -35 minutes, until the topping is golden brown in colour.

Let cool and serve while warm with vanilla ice-cream, custard or cream.
cook's notes: This pie was for M's birthday today, he requested apple pie instead of chocolate, which is very odd if you know my husband at all. I considered making a plain apple pie but I thought it would be a little nicer to make an apple brown betty. It went down well M happy, and H too. And got a lovely compliment from M's dad who stopped by to drop off a card and birthday check. I used eating apples because I really don't like English cooking apples and we had an over abundance of apples in the fruit bowl hovering towards oblivion or at least rotten apple status. The apple pieces were still recognizable as apple and not turned to mush, if you prefer that I would suggest covering the pile for the 15 minutes with foil and then remove the foil and bake for an additional 25-35 minutes.
The only side effect is that I have had the song "Black Betty" stuck in my head all evening.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yuk - I just spat tea on myself...but here's why...Now, cue that spooky x-files music. When I heard about the brown betty you were making for M I started humming black betty to myself. Weird eh?

Frizbe said...

Mmmm looks lovely! I'm not leaving a comment on the giveaway as being jammy and living down the road I get lots of lovely free cake all year around!