Tuesday 15 June 2010

Shirley Temples (Day 21)


When I was a kid whenever we would go out to dinner (and it wasn't Vietnamese, Japanese, or Mexican) I would always order Shirley Temples to drink. Every time we visit the states and go out to dinner I still order Shirley Temples and so far nobody has told me I'm too old to order a kid's drink. A few days ago while doing the shopping it occurred to me that I could make my own Shirley Temples, so I wandered round till I found grenadine and 7up and had a stupid grin on my face when Matt asked why I was buying red syrup.


ingredients:
• 7up or any lime flavoured pop/soda
• Dash or two of grenadine
• Maraschino (cocktail) cherries
• ice

Directions:
Fill a glass with ice.
Pour 7up (lime soda) over the ice.
Add a dash or two of grenadine and stir.
Garnish with the maraschino cherries.

enjoy!

cook's notes: some recipes call for ginger ale but to me the simplest thing is the best, plain 7up. For a more adult drink you can add vodka, but I'm not a big drinker and the kid in me wants sugar and cherries. H wont drink any but he likes making them with me and always steals a cherry or two, the jar is almost empty!

basil leaves optional, I thought they added a bit of contasting colour!

6 comments:

Jennifer S. said...

I love Shirley Temples! When I was in college and pregnant I brought all of those ingredients to a class on my birthday and made everyone drink with me. It was awesome. I also Love freezing Maraschino Cherries in ice cubes for them too.

Melissa said...

I remember feeling sooo grown up when my parents would let me order one. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Unknown said...

I'm asking myself why I have never, ever had a Shirley Temple, because I love cocktails which use Grenadine.

I'm off to get myself a bottle and start making these fabuloso drinks - they sound sooooooo thirst quenching.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Annie B said...

mmmm...never heard of these before but I LIKE!!!

Lisa-Marie said...

I've never had one! I am going to try both versions(I love ginger beer), and I will let you know what I think!

Mudkiple said...

Nice share thanks for posting