Thursday 10 January 2008

Oaties


oaties biscuits
Ingredients:

3/4 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup butter (softened)
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 egg (large)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
1 1/2 cups porridge oats

Pre-heat the oven to 375° F

In a small bowl mix the flour and the coconut, if you don’t have self -raising flour then use plain flour and add to it 1 tsp baking powder and half a teaspoon of salt.

In a large bowl beat the butter, vanilla extract, and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Add the flour and coconut mix until well blended. By hand stir in the porridge oats (old fashioned oats are best) . Drop the dough by teaspoon onto un-greased cookie sheet. For larger cookies drop by the tablespoon. Bake for 10 minutes, until the centre is puffed up and the edges begin to brown. Remove from the oven, let them cool for a minute on the baking tray before placing on a wire rack to cool.


cooks notes: this recipe is for my dad, as Oaties are his favourite cookie/biscuit and every time we visit in Idaho I bring several packages back of an Scottish made oaties biscuits that we buy from Chatsworth Farm Shop. So for ages I have been experimenting with various different recipes for oatmeal cookies and attempting to create and oatie type cookie/biscuit and this recipe is the closest I have been able to get so far. H says the cookies were "Yum" so I guess that's not a bad review. They were also very simple to make I'm sure I will continue to adapt the recipe I have concocted but for now I'm just going to have to eat a cookie. or two.

5 comments:

Annie B said...

they look/sound delicious. I will definitely try them later, once I've found my american cup convertor chart!!!

somehow I missed your last couple of posts - I thought you were on my bloglines list but somehow you'd escaped. I have now rectified this error and will be back more often.

LOVE the jewellery BTW, you have a great eye.

And I liked your link to the anticrafters too, I agree - sometimes something other than a happy bunny is required.

bye for now

Frizbe said...

you should link your blog to the new mumsnet recipe pages!

Apryl said...

annieb- thank you so much for your lovely comments that has made my dad after having a cruddy headache since waking this morning.

A little help for those who don't use cups as measurments. Oh and for the record I just use normal everyday teaspoon and tablespoons for measurments, less hassel than attemting to locate the measuring ones. Which I think have migrated to H's toy box.

U.S. to Metric Conversion Table

1/5 teaspoon = 1 ml
1 teaspoon = 5 ml
1 tablespoon = 15 ml
1 fluid oz. = 30 ml
1/5 cup = 50 ml
1/4 cup = 60 ml
1/2 cup = 120 ml
1 cup = 240 ml
2 cups (1 pint) = 470 ml
4 cups (1 quart) = .95 liter
4 quarts (1 gal.) = 3.8 liters

I hope that its of some help.

Sharon said...

I bought my first box of Oaties while vacationing in New York this Christmas past, and promptly ate most in three days. I've been looking for them locally ever since without much luck. This recipe is just what I needed to get my Oaties fix. Thanks!!

Davidson said...

Lenny and Carl (co-workers at beer factories are always named Lenny and Carl; it's the law) are going about their business, loading and unloading things with their forklifts: you know, the daily routine. The third-social gathering supplier will also give the business a copy of the information, supplies employed for trainings, and methods for reference. Don't let any untrained personnel operate a forklift truck, even if just on an occasional basis.